VANCOUVER, Wash. – Washington State University Vancouver neuroscience professor Allison Coffin is the president and visionary behind Science Talk—a nonprofit organization that inspires and empowers the science communication community to share information in a way that can be absorbed by nonscientists and therefore have the greatest impact.
Science Talk hosts an annual conference that promotes responsible practices in science communication, facilitates an exchange of ideas, supports networking and fosters public engagement. The 2019 conference will be held April 4 – 5 at the Tiffany Center, 1410 SW Morrison Street, Portland, OR 97205.
The conference agenda includes:
- Opening remarks by Joe Palca, science correspondent for National Public Radio
- Maryam Zaringhalam, producer for The Story Collider, a nonprofit dedicated to telling true, personal stories about science
- Diana Cowern, creator of Physics Girl, an online resource for fun physics videos and other science materials
- Workshops including “Navigating Difficult Situations in Science Communication” and “Finding Your Identity in Science Communication”
- Presentations including “Science and Us: The Next Generation of Communicators” and “Using Storytelling to Change the Narratives of Diversity in Science”
- Panels including “Identifying Sources of Misinformation and Taking Action” and “Building Public Trust in the Fake News Era”
Scientists, journalists, science communicators, students and anyone interested in promoting the best ideas in science communication are welcome to attend. Register at sciencetalk.org by Jan. 31 to receive early bird rates: $75 for students; $250 for professionals.
About WSU Vancouver
As one of six campuses of the Washington State University system, WSU Vancouver offers big-school resources in a small-school environment. The university provides affordable, high-quality baccalaureate- and graduate-level education to benefit the people and communities it serves. As the only four-year research university in Southwest Washington, WSU Vancouver helps drive economic growth through relationships with local businesses and industries, schools and nonprofit organizations.
# # #
Brenda Alling, Office of Marketing and Communications, 360-546-9601, email@example.com