To develop and present evidence-based recommendations to the campus community for achieving the objectives of the strategic goal of student success.
This council focuses on student success, one of the three areas of emphasis in WSUV’s Strategic Plan. The purpose of the Student Success Council (SSC) is to foster greater collaboration between the Office of Academic Affairs and the Office of Student Affairs and Enrollment in order to achieve the following outcomes:
- To identify and understand the determining factors of student success; and
- To better plan and coordinate data efforts that measure student success and retention; and,
- To develop recommendations related to pedagogy, programming and services which will improve and enhance student success and persistence; and
- To develop recommendations related to anticipated resource need for programming and services, to support student success; and
- To provide campus decision-makers with the information needed to make data-driven recommendations and advocate for university policy pertinent to student success; and
- To develop plans for continued data collection and tracking of implemented programming, services, etc.
Working definition of student success
Through high-impact learning experiences that engage students as well as improve retention and graduation rates, WSU Vancouver graduates will be successful in their career and post-baccalaureate studies and engaged in their local communities.
Areas of focus for the 2016-17 academic year
Student support programs and analytics
Charge: Evaluate data on high D, F & W courses; make recommendations to impact change for 21st century learners and to use growth mindset principles.
Monitor and provide semester updates on card swipe system; updates to include user data (demographics, purpose of visit), trends (peak hours and days), and impact on student success (gpa, class grades of users).
Charge: Pilot the Student Success Plan (SSP) fall 2017 for LEAPS students; assess and revise for implementation for all new freshman fall 2018.
Charge: Review past NSSE data results and determine best uses for the data. Identify peer institutions for points of comparison and develop benchmarks. Identify and propose methods for implementation of additional surveys, specifically graduating student survey and holistic student experience survey.
Targeted growth opportunities
Charge: Review plans for targeted growth for College Bound and Latino students (per the Enrollment Management Council’s subgroup); identify gaps in support for students and make recommendations to remedy them.
- FYI VanCougs (current student communication plan)
- Service learning
- Faculty professional development
- Data analytics
- June Canty, Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs (Co-Chair)
- Director of Student Development (Co-Chair) (position currently vacant)
- Elias Cohen, Research Analyst for Campus Effectiveness
- Scarlett Hernandez, Student Representative
- Cindy Morical, Academic Coordinator
- Wendy Olson, Director of Composition and Writing Assessment
- Laurel Rea-Bullion, Information Systems manager
- Samy Reel, Vice President, ASWSUV
- Bill Stahley, Student Achievement Manager
- Debra Wilmington, Academic Coordinator and Instructor